Ten Ways To Keep A Happy Heart
February is Heart Health month. According to The Heart and Stroke Foundation "Heart disease affects 1.3 million Canadians...and 8 in 10 cases of premature heart disease and stroke is preventable through healthy lifestyle behaviours."
Listed below are some natural heart health tips.
- Manage Your Blood Sugar - an excess of blood sugar can damage blood vessels, increase blood fats, increase inflammation and lower good cholesterol. Make sure that you combine fibre and protein with each meal and consider natural supplements for additional support. Soluble fibre acts as a sponge, absorbing excess cholesterol and removing from your body.
- Cooking Methods - avoid frying foods with unstable oils. Instead choose coconut oil, grass fed butter or ghee for high temperature cooking.
- Manage Stress - excess cortisol from stress raises blood pressure, triglycerides and cholesterol. Try different cognitive techniques, relaxation and natural supplementation. Remember, laughter dilates blood vessels.
- Manage Your Thyroid - hypothyroidism can worsen heart disease and affects cholesterol elimination. Consider natural supplementation for support.
- Avoid Toxic Ingredients - such as drugs, tobacco, alchohol, additives, heavy metals, pollution, chemicals and synthetic hormones.
- Regular Exercise - maintain a healthy weight and take part in consistent, moderate exercise.
- Balance Hormones - proper estrogen levels can have a protective effect on your body.
- Heal Your Gut - consider gut supporting nutrients and digestive enzymes. Probiotics play a role in cholesterol re-absorption and inflammation management.
- Dietary Recommendations - emphasize anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, high fibre, mineral packed, omega rich ingredients. Did you know that Omega 3 fats (high EPA) help to reduce serum triglycerides, blood pressure, free radicals and cholesterol, plus they act as anti-inflammatories.
- Supplement Suggestions - consider natural support to lower blood pressure, control cholesterol as well as fight inflammation, protect arteries and repair damaged tissue.